Cauliflower and acorn squash are pureed, then topped with pumpkin seeds to create the ultimate nut-free bisque. Serve this with a slice of crusty bread for dipping!
Creamy Cauliflower and Squash Bisque [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roast the acorn squash for 35 minutes. Spoon out the middle and set aside. Discard the skin.
- Add coconut oil to a skillet. Saute onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes and set aside.
- In a large pot, boil cauliflower florets in vegetable broth and water until soft. Transfer the cauliflower into a blender and puree with non-dairy milk, garlic and onions. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low on stove top and add the cauliflower mixture back into the vegetable broth.
- Add acorn squash mixture into the pot and stir, add more salt and pepper to taste.
- While that is coming together, evenly spread the pumpkin seeds over a lined baking sheet. Roast for approximately 5 mins or until they are light brown in color.
- With an immersion blender, puree everything until there are no clumps and the bisque is creamy. Alternatively, ladle the soup into a powerful blender or food processor until the same consistency is achieved.
- Top with roasted pumpkin seeds, sea salt and a tiny drizzle of olive oil.