Creamy Cashew Alfredo Pasta is a rich and creamy dish made with nutritional yeast and cashews instead of heavy cream. It has sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and roasted red peppers for extra flavor and you can add a spicy kick with red pepper flakes. I like to use gluten-free rice pasta for this recipe to make it gluten free as well. Creamy Cashew Alfredo Pasta is an amazingly delicious gluten-free meal that will keep you coming back for more.
Creamy Cashew Alfredo Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium red pepper or 1 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 4 cups dried pasta (choose gluten-free if you're avoiding gluten)
- 2 big garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup raw cashews or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup almond milk or any milk alternative
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (1/4 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2–1 teaspoon red pepper flakes to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup spinach, diced
- If you are roasting the red pepper, preheat the oven to broil. Wash the red pepper and place it whole on a baking sheet. Broil for 20 minutes turning every 5 minutes until all of the sides are brown/black and blistered. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes sealed in a paper bag. When the pepper is cool enough to touch, peel off the skin and remove the seeds. Dice into 1cm squares.
- While the pepper is cooking prepare your pasta as directed on the package. Undercook the pasta slightly as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by placing the garlic and cashews in a food processor and pulse until minced. Add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, tamari, tahini, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, paprika, nutmeg and red pepper flakes and pepper to taste and blend until smooth. For a nut free version you can substitute cashews with sunflower seeds and almond milk with organic soy milk.
- Pour the sauce into a large pot and add the coconut oil (or organic butter), sundried tomatoes, red pepper and spinach. Cook for 5 minutes on medium until heated through and until the spinach has just wilted.
- Rinse and drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Stir until mixed and heated through, roughly 3 minutes.
- Serve the pasta hot straight out of the pot and enjoy!