Bread dumplings are a dish that every Austrian knows from dinners at grandma’s house. Traditionally made with eggs, these are held together with ground flax seeds. Fresh cranberries, parsley, and chopped almonds not only make these dumplings festive and pretty to look at, they also taste amazing. Served alongside a red wine mushroom sauce, the two go together like no other. Add them to your holiday spread, or alongside a veggie loaf or just make them on their own.
Cranberry Bread Dumplings With Red Wine Mushroom Sauce [Vegan]
For the Dumplings:
- 7 ounces bread cubes
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 1/4 cups soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal, plus 6 tablespoons water)
For the Sauce:
- 7 ounces Brown mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon soup stock powder
- 1 teaspoon dry sage
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Black fresh cracked pepper, to taste
To Make the Dumplings:
- Make the flax eggs by whisking together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water then set aside to allow it to thicken.
- Next, chop up the onion and heat up the vegan butter in a skillet, add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the onions to a large bowl together with the bread cubes, salt, chopped parsley, cranberries, and almonds. Mix well then add the soy milk and the flax eggs.
- Start massaging the soy milk into the mix until it gets soggy and it forms a dough like texture. Knead a little bit with your hands to allow it to come together properly.
- Divide the dough into six parts and form the dumplings using your hands. Wrap them each up in aluminum foil and let them rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When you're ready to make them, just add them to your steam cooker or steam pot and steam cook for 20 minutes.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat up some oil in a skillet over medium/high heat, chop the onion and cook until translucent, chop the garlic and the mushrooms and add to the skillet. Once the mushrooms are cooked, deglaze the pan with red wine.
- Then, add the coconut milk and the remaining ingredients. Stir well and let it simmer to reduce until the sauce gets your desired texture.