Usually, a green bean recipe is not a fancy one, but this might be an exception. This recipe is a healthy take on the traditional green bean casserole. It will be a perfect, modern side dish this holiday season. The added almonds give the classic ingredients an extra nice crunch.
Cranberry Almond Green Beans [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 4 cups of fresh green beans (already cleaned and snapped)
- 1/2 half onion chopped
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of any holiday spice blend
- 2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 vegan chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon of lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon of organic, canned sugar
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries and sliced almonds (for topping)
- Heat pan on medium high heat. Add butter.
- Add chopped onions and mushrooms - sautée them until they are soft for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add green beans, salt, garlic powder, seasoning blend, and another tablespoon of butter. Coat seasonings and butter on green beans stirring for 3 minutes.
- Turn down heat, cover with top and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water to pan. Then add vegan chicken bouillon, liquid smoke, lemon juice, and sugar. If you want more flavor you can add another bouillon. Cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool top with dried cranberries and almonds and serve. Enjoy!
Sweet potatoes Would also work really well in this. It can give the dish more color.