This pizza has a perfectly crispy crust with a rustic touch from the cornmeal coating. The bread is so good, you might just want to munch on it alone, but when topped with the roasted red pepper cream sauce, vegan Italian sausages, and all the other toppings it's amazing. This is a fantastic weeknight dinner, especially if you prep the dough ahead of time.
Cornmeal Crusted Pizza With Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup organic corn meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 organic red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Water, for soaking
For the Toppings:
- Begin by preparing the dough for the crust. In a stand mixer with a dough hook, add yeast, warm water, and maple syrup to the bowl. Let sit until the yeast is foamy, about 5-7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix until a ball of dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel and let sit for 1-2 hours until it doubles in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the roasted red pepper cream sauce. Fill a cup halfway with cashews, and then add 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds on top of that. Now fill the measuring cup all the way to the top with warm water. Set aside.
- Sauté the red pepper in 2-3 tablespoons of water until soft. Add red pepper, the 1 cup sunflower seed/cashew/water mixture, and remaining ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare two baking sheets by sprinkling with cornmeal. When the dough has risen, divide into 4 equal portions. Individually roll each ball of dough out to form a 1/4-inch thick flatbread. Lay on the prepared baking sheet. Top with red pepper cream sauce, sautéed onions, sliced sausages, corn, and spinach.
- Bake pizzas for 25-30 minutes. Top with vegan Parmesan.