Sometimes you just need something cold when the weather is hot and sticky outside. That doesn't mean that you don't want something that will be totally filling and satisfying in the process. Filled with hearty buckwheat soba noodles, crips veggies and creamy miso sauce, you can fill your belly and still stay cool.
Cold Soba Bowl With Lemon Miso Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- ¼ cup raw cashew butter
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon each extra virgin olive oil + toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or agave
- 5-6 tablespoons water
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Buckwheat soba noodles (or your favorite gluten free noodles)
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- ½ cucumber, sliced thinly on a bias
- 1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 green onion, cut into thin slices (the green part only)
- Spicy vegan kimchi, optional
- Sesame seeds, black or white
- ½ nori sheet, cut very thin
- Chili flakes if desired
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth. The mixture will thicken as it cools so add more water a little bit at a time until desired consistency. I added a grand total of 6 tablespoons of water. I found it easiest to leave the sauce in the blend and its spout makes it easy to pour onto your bowl.
- In a medium pot, add water and salt and boil on high heat. Add the noodles and cook as the package directs. Cook until al dente, drain and rinse over a coriander. Shake the coriander so most of the water is drained. Place cold noodles in a large bowl and dress with the sesame seed oil and lemon juice.
- While the noodles are cooking, prep the vegetables.
- Add more water to the now empty pot and place on high heat until boiling. Cook the edamame until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. They cool down quite quickly.
- Divide the noodles and vegetables between two bowls. Top with sauce and garnish with nori and sesame seeds. Serve!