You may remember tapioca from your childhood snack puddings? Here's an upgraded coconut pudding version. This vegan tapioca pudding is made with creamy coconut milk, cardamom, caramelized bananas, and cacao nibs for a bit of texture. Tapioca, made from the cassava plant, is loaded with iron, calcium, folate and manganese. Much like chia, it can absorb several times its weight in liquid, making it a hydrating snack option. Grab a spoon and give this vegan tapioca pudding a try!
Coconut Tapioca Pudding with Caramelized Bananas [Vegan]
Coconut Tapioca pudding:
- 1 cup dry small tapioca pearls
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled & sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- In a medium pot, add the dried tapioca and cover with 4 cups water. Allow to sit for 30 minutes until the balls start to hydrate and expand. Place on your stovetop and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5 more minutes until the balls become translucent. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Turn heat off and transfer into pot with coconut milk (instructions for the coconut milk in the next step).
- While the tapioca sits to hydrate, combine the coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla and cardamom in a separate pot. Turn heat on medium-low and bring to a light simmer. Stir to incorporate the sugar and spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes until well incorporated. Turn off heat. When the tapioca are ready, transfer the tapioca to the pot of coconut milk. Stir together until well combined.
- Allow to sit in the pot until it cools enough to transfer to the refrigerator. Scoop the pudding into a bowl or storage container and place in the refrigerator for several hours to cool. This gives time for the tapioca to absorb the creamy coconut flavors. When the tapioca is ready to serve, prepare the caramelized bananas so they’re warm to serve.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the coconut oil. Arrange the sliced bananas onto skillet and sprinkle with the coconut sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook slowly until golden on one side. Flip and continue to cook until both sides are sticky and golden. Remove from heat and serve warm atop the tapioca pudding.
- To serve, remove the tapioca from the fridge and spoon into a bowl or glass. Layer the caramelized bananas and sprinkle with toasted coconut, cacao nibs and sprinkling of cardamom.