These brownies are vegan, naturally gluten free due to the list of ingredients, and are high in protein thanks to the amazing qualities of black beans and the health benefits and nutritional density of flax seeds. They will allow you to experience a fudgy consistency without worrying about the brownies drying out or resembling a thin sponge cake.
Coconut Black Bean Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Coconut Black Bean Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Brownies:
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 cup coconut milk (any plant milk will work just as well)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil ( OR 1 flax egg: 2 heaped tablespoons ground flax seeds, 4 tablespoons water )
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 2/3 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or 1 cup if you don’t have a liquid sweetener at hand)
- 1/3 cup maple/ agave syrup (or use any other liquid sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda / 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 handful nuts of choice (optional)
- Peanut Butter
- Coconut shreddings
- Finely ground/ chopped nuts
- Other toppings that you could use include: chocolate chips (sprinkle ontop of brownie batch 5/ before removing tray from oven)
How to Prepare Coconut Black Bean Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 390°F
- Add all the wet ingredients into a food processor, including the flax egg if you chose to use one (which should have been prepared in a small bowl 5 minutes prior to the ingredient combining process)
- Add all the dry ingredients to the food processor, mixing them in with the wet ingredients and scrapping down the sides when needed to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Adjust ingredients by adding more oats/ plant milk in order to achieve the preferred texture, which should be slightly thicker than frosting, but nowhere near runny or what cake batter would be, should ideally be relatively thick but still smooth.
- Grease a baking tray with coconut oil, or preferably line a baking tray with some greaseproof paper.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the baking tray and place into the oven, baking the brownies for 15-20 minutes.
- Bake until the top / edges of the batch are dry, poking the mixture with a fork that should come out (relatively) clean with no wet/ gooey mixture left on it.
- Remove the batch from the oven and allow it to cool for 20/30 minutes before cutting into pieces. Don’t be concerned if the mixture seems tender, as the brownies are meant to be fudge on the inside- besides, they’re vegan so no ingredients can be undercooked.
- Drizzle the peanut butter on top or ice your cupcakes, whilst also adding your preferred toppings onto them.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.