This tart is a lot healthier than you might think. It is only sweetened with maple syrup and the crust is 100% gluten-free and just binded with coconut oil.
Coconut Berry Shortbread Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut (finely shredded)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup mixed berries of choice
- Sprinkle of lemon zest
- Desiccated coconut
- Fresh mint (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch tart pan.
- In a food processor, ground almonds into a fine meal. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until a moldable, slightly sticky mixture forms. You should be able to press it between your fingers. Press the crust into the bottom and sides of the tart pan in an even layer. Bake for 13-14 min. or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely (20-25 min).
- While crust is cooling, prepare filling. In a medium-sized saucepan, pour in coconut milk. Bring to a simmer an add in maple syrup, zest, and coconut. Whisk to combine. Pour out 1/4 cup of the mixture into a small bowl and add in cornstarch. Whisk thoroughly to combine. Add the cornstarch mixture back to the saucepan.
- At this point, the coconut milk will begin to thicken. Whisk very often to prevent sticking or burning. Keep simmering on medium-low for 5-6 min. or until thickened like a pudding.
- Take mixture off the heat and stir in coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Cool completely (it will thicken a bit more as it cools). Once cooled, pour into crust. Refrigerate for 30-40 min. or until filling is set.
- Top with fresh berries, sprinkle of lemon zest, a few sprigs of fresh mint, and desiccated coconut. To store, cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze for 4-5 days.