This yummy, sunny citrus carrot loaf is the perfect snack to keep you going. Good old carrots are always in season and you really can’t beat tender, spiced baked goods that put it to good use. The addition of citrus fruits gives this carrot loaf a fresh and zesty flavor. Grab a slice for breakfast, dessert, or a snack — this is an anytime kind of snack.
Citrus Carrot Loaf [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/8 cups almond meal
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 3/4 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Zest of 1 organic orange
- Zest of 1/2 an unwaxed organic lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 355°F and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Whisk the ground flax and water together in a cup and set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Place the grated carrot in a separate small bowl, add the melted coconut oil and the flax mixture which should have formed a gelatinous consistency. Mix together and add into the dry ingredients, stirring together until just combined.
- Pour into the loaf tin and top with a few thin slices of lemon and orange.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until a skewer or knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.