Adding citrus is a great trick for sweetening oatmeal. The brightness of citrus adds great flavor to the oatmeal. which reduces the need for a bunch of added sugar. It is better to use fresh cranberries more than dried because they 'pop' while they cook, getting their tart juices throughout the porridge and adding great flavor.
Citrus Carrot and Cranberry Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated (about 1/4 cup grated)
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- Juice of 1 small orange or clementine
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or more, if desired
- Bring liquid to a boil, add carrots, and reduce heat to a simmer. Let the carrots simmer for about 2-3 minutes to help them soften up.
- Add oats and orange juice. Stir occasionally.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add spices and salt, and fold in cranberries.
- If desired, add maple syrup to taste.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Enjoy as is, or top with whatever: nut butter, chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, etc.
You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup.