This hearty and rustic stew was inspired by "cioppino," an Italian-American recipe for fish stew that originated in San Francisco. Tofu stands in for the fish, but the rest remains the same – vegetables and herbs simmered in a flavorful tomato broth.
Cioppino: Italian-Style ‘Fish’ Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cioppino: Italian-Style ‘Fish’ Stew [Vegan]
- 15 ounces tofu, smoked and plain
- 7 ounces mushrooms
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, squeezed or minced
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Fresh parsley and cilantro, or other herbs of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Prepare Cioppino: Italian-Style ‘Fish’ Stew [Vegan]
- Start off with chopping the tofu, mushrooms, and onion roughly into bits.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the tofu, mushrooms, and onion. Sauté for a couple of minutes, then mix in the diced tomatoes. Reduce heat.
- Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Let cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with toasted bread.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.