This recipe is a three-in-one: gluten-free cupcake, maple buttercream frosting, waffle bits. The end result is a cozy, cinnamon-sugared treat that looks like you put more effort (and unhealthy ingredients) into it than you did. Plus, they look adorable!
Cinnamon Waffle Cupcakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
For the Waffle Bits:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tablespoon grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the non-dairy milk and vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside to curdle, about 10 minutes.
- In another large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients except for the sugar.
- Add sugar, oil, and extract to the milk mixture and stir until sugar is dissolved. Mix into the dry ingredients.
- Distribute evenly among muffin liners and bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool fully before frosting and waffling.
To Make the Waffle Bits:
- Grease and preheat the waffle iron.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl, then add in wet ingredients. Drop tablespoonfuls onto the hot iron, keeping them separate, and cook until lightly brown. Let cool.
To Make the Frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until light, about two minutes. Add in one cup of sugar and one tablespoon of milk and stir to incorporate fully, scrape down sides. Repeat until you have the texture and taste you want. Stir in extract.
- Pipe or spread a dollop of frosting on each cooled cupcake, then sprinkle with a generous amount of cinnamon sugar. Finish off each with a waffle bit.