These cinnamon apple dessert tacos are the kind of indulgent treat you'd encounter at the world's greatest food festival ... Except you can make these at home and the only line you'll be waiting on is the one at the grocery store. They have a crispy fried tortilla shell that sparkles from the cinnamon sugar coating, a warm apple pie filling, and a topping of coconut whipped cream dusted with cinnamon that you should absolutely go overboard on. Crunchy, sweet, warm, and indulgent, this dessert is absolutely unforgettable.
Cinnamon Apple Dessert Tacos [Vegan]
For the Shells:
- 6-7 large flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 large apples
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
For the Whipped Topping:
- 1 13.66-ounce can full-fat coconut milk (don't use the water)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
For the Taco Shells:
- Using a small circle cutter like the top of a mason jar, cut out circles from your tortillas. You should get about 3 from each tortilla. (use a smaller size cutter for 2-3 bite-sized tacos). Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat about 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Place a scrap of tortilla in the oil to gauge if it's hot enough — it should bubble instantly.
- Using tongs, place one circle in the oil for about 5 seconds. Flip it over and fold it in half, holding it folded for about 5 seconds or until browned. Flip over and fry the other side until crispy. Immediately remove the oil, give it a little shake, and place it into the cinnamon coconut sugar mix.
- Set in a taco rack or an upside-down muffin pan to cool by placing them between the muffin domes.
To Make the Filling:
- Peel and dice apples. Toss with lemon juice. Over medium heat, stir together butter, chopped apples, cinnamon, and coconut sugar. Add about 1/4 cup water and let cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes. Stir 1 teaspoon cornstarch into the remaining water and add to the pan.
- Continue cooking until most of the liquid is removed, and apples are soft.
- Fill each taco with warm apple pie mixture and top with coconut whipped topping and a pinch of cinnamon.
Per Serving: Calories: 489 | Carbs: 36 g | Fat: 37 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 267 mg | Sugar: 23 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile