This is fall/ winter comfort food at it’s best. If you aren’t familiar with split yellow lentils (otherwise known as split yellow mung beans), you’re missing out on a nutritious, delicious, creamy and satiating ingredient that’s perfect for soups and stews.
Chunky Toor Dahl Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup toor dal (split yellow lentils)
- 5 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of ground mustard powder
- 1 small head of cauliflower chopped into bite sized florets
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil over medium heat and add your yellow onion. Cook for about 3- 4 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add your pressed garlic and ground turmeric and stir well to combine.
- Add your toor dahl (split yellow lentils) and again stir well to combine.
- Add your 5 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent sticking.
- Add your salt, curry powder, cumin and ground mustard and stir to combine.
- Add your cauliflower florets. Cook for another 10 minutes until cauliflower florets are tender.
- Add your chopped spinach, stir, and remove from heat.