These little chocolate donuts are a real treat! Plenty of healthy ingredients, baked and not fried, and covered in a delicious dark-chocolate glaze. Top these off with some sugar sprinkles, or with some hazelnuts.
Chocolate Hazelnut Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons fine coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup powdered cacao
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar sprinkles
- Prepare the vegan flax egg: in a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds and 2 1/2 tablespoons water. Let rest 5 minutes for the flax seeds to soak up water.
- Preheat oven to 340°F. Lightly grease a donuts baking tin.
- In a bowl mix wet ingredients: mash half a banana with a fork, add coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and plant-based milk. Add soaked flax seeds (water and all) and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl prepare the dry ingredients: add spelt flour (regular plain flour will work just as well), almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cacao. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix to combine and lastly fold in chopped hazelnuts. Your mixture should resemble that of muffins. If it's too thick, add in 1/4 cup of plant-based milk.
- Transfer the chocolate dough to a piping bag (or just use a small plastic bag and cut off a corner for piping). Pipe the dough into the donuts baking tin.
- Place the baking tin into preheated oven and bake for about 15-18 minutes at 340°F. Once the donuts are baked (check with a toothpick), remove the baking tin from oven and let cool for 2 minutes. Then, tap the baking tin to counter a couple of times, which should loosen the donuts and turn upside down. The donuts should fall out of the baking tin. Let donuts cool off completely on a rack.
- Prepare the chocolate glaze: Melt dark chocolate chips with a teaspoon of coconut oil (in microwave or over a water bath). Dip donuts into the melted chocolate and return on the rack to cool. Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles or chopped hazelnuts on top and let rest for the chocolate to set for at least 2 hours.