Chewy dates, stuffed with creamy nut butter, coated in chocolate, and sprinkled with sea salt. Are you drooling yet? These Chocolate-Covered Stuffed Dates are so freakin yummy. Bonus is, they are super easy to make, free of refined sugar, and suitable for vegan, gluten-free, and paleo diets. Doesn’t get much better than that.
Chocolate-Covered Stuffed Dates [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 12 Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or nut or seed butter of choice
- 1/2 cup sugar-free vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoon coconut oil (solid not liquid at room temperature)
- optional toppings: Maldon salt flakes, unsweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped nuts, chia seeds, naturally-coloured sprinkles, or your choice of toppings
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut a slit lengthwise down each date and remove the pits.
- Fill each date with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the nut butter, pushing as much into the “pockets” of the dates as possible without overfilling. Place the stuffed dates on a parchment-lined baking sheet and put in the freezer for 15 min.
- Using a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil together. Alternatively, you can put chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- Drop stuffed dates one at a time into the melted chocolate. Use a spoon to cover each date fully with chocolate and then place back on the parchment-lined tray.
- Once all of the dates have been covered, put in the fridge and chill for 15 min. Sprinkle with salt flakes or your choice of toppings and the return to the fridge to chill overnight or for a minimum of 45 minutes.
Chocolate-Covered Stuffed Dates can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.