These beet cupcakes are simply the best to enjoy when you want a sweet treat with hidden veggies!
Chocolate Beet Cupcakes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Beet Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 2 medium beets (3/4 cup beet puree)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other nondairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cups vegan dark chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder (or unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
How to Prepare Chocolate Beet Cupcakes [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut the stems from the beet's root and wash them under running water.
- Choose a method of cooking your beets:
- Method A: Lay beets over foil, wrap, and roast for approx. 1 hour or until a knife can be inserted into the beet without resistance. Place beets into a bowl and let cool in the fridge. Once cool, peel the skin off of the beets.
- Method B: Place beets in a large pot of boiling water and simmer for 45 min - 1 hour until a knife can be inserted into the beet without resistance. Strain water and cool the beets in a bowl in the fridge. Once cool, peel the skin off of the beets.
- Lower the oven to 350 degrees. Puree the beets in a blender with a couple tablespoons of water (to help with mixing). Set aside 3/4 cup beet puree.
- In large bowl, stir together the almond milk and white vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, whisk in the raw sugar, melted dark chocolate, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the white whole wheat flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the sifted dry ingredients to the liquids while beating the batter with a paddle attachment or stirring by hand with a whisk.
- Spoon into a lined cupcake pan 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cake clean.
- Let cool completely before dusting with cacao powder or cocoa powder and store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days or in the fridge for 1 week.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Chocolate Cupcake
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.