Don't let the fact that these bars are gluten-free, oil-free, and contain no refined sugars fool you – these delicious mouthfuls taste as luxurious as any cake or brownie out there. The bananas and apple sauce give them a moist, dense texture and the dates provide a natural sweetness that complements the chocolate perfectly.
Chocolate Banana Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 5 bananas, overripe
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup dates processed in a food processor
- 1 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 handful dates (optional)
- 1 handful walnuts (optional)
- 1 handful raspberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Start by mashing the banana in a large bowl
- Add the applesauce, vanilla extract, and flax seeds. Mix it all together.
- Add 1/2 cup of pitted dates to a food processor and pulse them to create out natural sweetener.
- Now add the buckwheat flour, cacao powder, and processed dates, to the large bowl and mix everything well. Optionally fold some chocolate chips, chopped dates, and or pieces of walnut in the batter.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and to this add the batter. Top it with raspberries and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until you poke it with a skewer and it comes out clean.
- Let cool before you serve it.