This tomato soup is a must-try for people who love all things spicy! Almonds are the secret to making this soup rich and creamy. Just a tiny bit of chipotle pepper makes it smoky and spicy, perfect for eating with chopped avocado and tortilla chips.
Chipotle Cream of Tomato [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and onion over medium heat. When the onions are translucent, add the garlic and salt.
- Do not let the onions and garlic caramelize. The idea is that they cook to softness. Leave them in the pot, stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the oregano and almonds and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the oregano is fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, reduce the heat, and cover.
- When the pot boils, transfer to a blender and add the water and chipotle. The soup is creamier if you use a blender, and if you start to blend at low speed and slowly increase power. Serve immediately.