These spicy and appetizing fritters are pure magic. You can make them ahead in big batches and freeze them, crisping them up in the oven again just before serving. Who's the coolest person at your next potluck? You are!
Chipotle Cauliflower Jalapeño Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cauliflower, washed and cut roughly into large florets
- 1 chia or flax egg
- 1/2 cup flour of choice (gluten free flour and spelt flour are great options)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado oil (or other high heat oil of choice), for frying
- Steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes, or until very fork tender. Meanwhile, mix together all remaining ingredients save for avocado oil.
- Let the cauliflower cool slightly (so you don't end up with scrambled eggs) before using a wooden spoon to mix it into the chia/flax egg mixture, mashing it as you go.
- You should end up with a lumpy looking batter - bits of cauliflower are great, but you want the chia/flax egg and flour to be evenly distributed.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, then coat the bottom lightly with avocado oil (or other high heat oil of choice).
- Using two teaspoons, spoon batter into pan, pressing each fritter flat with the back of your spoon.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until you see the edges begin to turn golden. Transfer to paper towel.
- To keep warm, store in oven at 200°F until ready to serve.
These can be made ahead and frozen. Simply transfer directly from the freezer to a 350 degree oven and reheat until crispy again. Makes about 22 fritters, depending on the siz