These sweet potatoes are loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors! The best thing about this recipe is that it comes together quickly, so they are perfect for a busy day. Pop the yams in the oven while you make the topping and you'll have the perfect, filling meal in no time!
Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed Yams [Vegan]
- 2 medium yams or sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup diced canned tomatoes (or you may use fresh if you have them)
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prick the yams all over with a fork, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until tender, depending on how large they are.
- Meanwhile, to make the chili beans, heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat, and add the onions and bell pepper. Sauté until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle powder, sea salt, tomatoes, orange juice, and beans. Cook for another 10 minutes until the flavors have blended, stirring often.
- Once the yams have finished cooking, cut in half lengthwise (but not all the way through to the bottom). Spoon the black beans into the open yams, top with scallions, oregano, and avocados, and serve!