It’s like spice mania over here. The flavors of cumin and chilli powder are the epitome of a chilli. The dish is really ‘meaty’ as well, with mushrooms and lentils giving an amazing texture to this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- 3 cups mushrooms, finely minced
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cooked red kidney beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and add the onion, carrot, celery, and red pepper.
- Add the garlic and all of the spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute until some of the moisture escapes.
- Add the lentils and water and bring to a boil.
- Turn the mixture down to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for a further 10 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper*
- Garnish with fresh chopped tomatoes, avocado and fresh coriander (optional)