Chickpeas sit and soak up deliciously in a spicy sauce. This dish is a delicious accompaniment to other courses, but it is also excellent as a main course, perhaps accompanied by some olives, or vegan cheese.
Chickpeas in Spicy Sauce [Vegan]
- 3/4 cups chickpeas
- 2 1/4 cup peeled tomatoes
- 2 red peppers
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 onion
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Fresh chilli
- Parsley or fresh coriander
- After leaving the chickpeas to soak for at least 24 hours, cook them in a pressure cooker for about 45 minutes (the time depends on the quality of the chickpeas and the time of soaking) Drain them and let them cool.
- Roast the peppers in the oven under the grill until the peel is roasted and lifted by the pulp. Immediately close them in a paper bag and let them cool. Then peel them, open them, collect the water, clean them from the seeds and blend them.
- Cut the thin onion and fry it with the garlic clove and the chili pepper in a little oil. Lightly toast the spices and add them to the onion when it is soft. Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes, a little water and cook the sauce. After about 20 minutes, blend and add the peppers. Cook for another ten minutes and add salt. When the sauce is tightened and velvety, turn off the heat and add the chickpeas and plenty of chopped parsley or if you like coriander. Serve warm with soft buns or other bread.