This chickpea peanut stew is warm and cozy, perfect for a Sunday night dinner. The stew is so filling and deserves a night in in your pajamas and a movie! Serve it with rice and garnish it with cilantro and peanuts.
Chickpea Peanut Stew With Apricot and Raisins [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 19-ounce can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On medium heat, add the oil to a medium sized pot and cook the onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the spices and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and peanut butter. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and let it cook for about 5, or until the peanut butter and broth become a creamy sauce.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Place the pot into the oven (alternatively, place the stew into an oven-safe pot).
- Cook for 30 minutes. Serve over rice or quinoa (to make it grain-free) and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.