Getting plant-based protein at breakfast has never been easier or more delicious. The vegan omelette came out just the way it should be: Dense, almost crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. The egg flavor was achieved with a combination of nutritional yeast and kala namak salt. You can buy kala namak salt (also called black salt) online and it lasts forever, as you only need to use it in small doses. It has a sulphuric taste, just like egg, but don't overdo it as it would taste too intense otherwise. The natural sweetness of the sun-dried tomatoes with the earthiness of the mushrooms and spinach go together really well. A real breakfast for champions. Or a perfect after workout meal.
Chickpea Flour Omelet With Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Mushroom, and Spinach Filling [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 large 'omelette'
- 13 ounces of silken tofu
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon kala namak salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/3 red onion finely chopped
- A few chopped mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Some garlic to taste
- Handful of spinach
- Preheat your oven to 360°F.
- Add all vegan omelet ingredients to a blender (no need to drain the silken tofu, just open the pack and add it to the blender). Blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- Heat up some oil to a pan and pour the mixture into the pan. Spread evenly and fry for 3 minutes.
- Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- In the mean time get another pan, and add chopped sun-dried tomatoes to it. You should get enough oil from the tomatoes but if it's too dry add a bit more olive oil. Then add 1/3 of a finely chopped red onion, a few mushrooms and sauté. Season with salt, pepper and garlic (I used garlic powder but you can use fresh as well of course, will taste even better). Add a handful of spinach last.
- Take the pan with the omelette out of the oven. BE VERY CAREFUL, THE PAN HANDLE IS VERY HOT! I think it's because you are used to the handle being safe normally so it's almost automatic that we want to touch it, so please be cautious.
- Transfer the omelet to a plate and add the filling. Fold the omelet over and serve.