Stuffed winter squash is such a simple, elegant meal that's perfect for eating at home or serving guests. The chickpeas are cooked with delicious warming spices, mushrooms, bell peppers, and Chinese long beans, which are absolutely optional. You can swap them for green beans or skip them altogether. A garnish of fresh cherry tomatoes and crunchy pine nuts add the perfect flavors and textures.
Chickpea and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Stuffed Squash:
- 1 butternut squash
- 7 ounces mushrooms
- 1 1/3 cups chickpeas
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 handful cilantro
- 2 big handfuls Chinese long beans (optional)
For the Spices:
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemongrass powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to Prepare Chickpea and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Roast the Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 390°F. Start by prepping the butternut squash. Chop it in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Now, brush it with some olive oil and roast it cut-side up in your oven for about 45 minutes or until it's fork tender.
For the Stuffing:
- Start by chopping the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. You can use a food processor or do it by hand.
- Sauté these for about 8 minutes over low/medium heat before adding the spices, bell pepper, chickpeas, and optionally, the chopped Chinese long beans. Cook this over medium-low for about 15 minutes while stirring regularly.
- After about 50 minutes remove the butternut squash from the oven and scoop out some of the flesh to make a well for the stuffing to go in. Use the scooped out butternut squash however you like.
- Scoop in the stuffing and optionally top it with some cherry tomatoes before putting it back in the oven for about 20-25 minutes. Remove it from the oven and sprinkle it with fresh cilantro and pine nuts (optional) and it's ready to be served.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 376 | Carbs: 74 g | Fat: 3 g | Protein: 15 g | Sodium: 25 mg | Sugar: 16 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.