Moussaka is a traditional Greek dish that is either eggplant or potato based. It is always multilayered, often with meat and cheese. In this recipe, the moussaka begins with an eggplant base, is drenched in tomatoey flavor, and is well seasoned, especially after baking in the oven. Incorporating chickpeas and featuring a yummy variety of vegetables, this moussaka will hit the spot in both nutrition and taste.
Chickpea and Eggplant Moussaka [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1 eggplant
- 1 shallot or onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil (separate)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme and oregano (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Slice the eggplants into approximately 1-inch thick circles.
- Brush the eggplants with 1/4 cup olive oil and roast them in the oven (preheated to 400°F) for 25 minutes.
- Chop the rest of the vegetables in the meantime.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the shallots (or onions) and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and the bell peppers, cook for about 2 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and the chickpeas. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take the eggplants out of the oven.
- In another pan (preferably cast iron), lay one layer of eggplants on the bottom. Cover with the vegetable sauté that you prepared. Lay another layer of eggplants and repeat until you fill the pan.
- Cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Serve.