Not only are these gooey, chewy granola bars jam packed with fruits, nuts, and seeds galore, they don't contain any added sweeteners making them perfect for keeping you satisfied throughout the day. No sugar highs here! Plus, they are suitable for diabetics, hooray!
Chewy Good-For-You Granola Bars [Vegan]
- 4 large organic apples
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 2 cups organic rolled oats, pulsed in food processor until finely ground
- 1/4 cup organic rolled oats, not pulsed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup peanuts, optional or replace with another nut
- 1/2 cup almonds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 2 teaspoons good-quality cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds, soaked in 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons organic cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- Optional: additional sweetener – maple syrup or agave, to taste
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Next you'll want to make your apple and date puree. Start off by peeling and coring all four apples. Chop into small pieces and place into a steamer. Add the dates and steam for approximately 10 minutes, until the apples are completely soft.
- While the apples and dates are steaming, place 1 cup of oats into a food processor and pulse until quite fine, but not like a flour. You just want to reduce the flakes in size so that it's easier for them to stick together. Remove and place into a big mixing bowl.
- If you don't have a mortar and pestle you can chop your almonds up next in the food processor, and add to the mixing bowl.
- Now, once the apples and dates are done, place into the food processor. Blitz until a smooth paste has formed.
- Into your mixing bowl, add the remaining dry ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Add the date and apple puree, coconut oil, chia seeds and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly. If you would like to add additional sweetener, you can do so here. The bars are sweet but diabetic-friendly so additional sweetener may be necessary.
- Once everything is mixed, place into a lined baking dish and press down. Use your hands or the back of a big spoon to level out the mixture.
- Pop into the oven and bake for roughly 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.