This soup pairs sweet, nutty chestnuts with earthy roasted cauliflower, the usual aromatics (onion, celery, garlic), and a pinch of herbs de Provence. It is rich, earthy, hearty, and very satisfying on a cold winter day. For a bright, punchy element I swirled each bowl with parsley-lemon oil, and a scattering of crispy sprouted pumpkin seeds and a two-tone gomasio that adds crunch and a savory-salty finish.
Chestnut and Roasted Cauliflower Soup With Lemon-Parsley Oil [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chestnut and Roasted Cauliflower Soup With Lemon-Parsley Oil [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Soup:
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1 pound untrimmed), core and leaves removed, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- 1 cup steamed or roasted chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 cups broth of your choice
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Gomasio, for seasoning/garnish (sesame seed and salt seasoning mix)
For the Parsley-Lemon Oil:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
How to Prepare Chestnut and Roasted Cauliflower Soup With Lemon-Parsley Oil [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Parsley-Lemon Oil:
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, chopped parsley, and lemon zest in a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Can be made up to 1 day ahead.
To Make the Soup:
- Place cauliflower on baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss to combine. Spread out in a single layer and roast until cauliflower is tender and browned around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over a medium-low flame. Add onion, celery, garlic, herbes de Provence, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until onions are soft and beginning to caramelize, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add chestnuts and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup of the cauliflower florets to use as a garnish. Scrape remaining roasted cauliflower into soup pot. Add enough broth to cover the vegetables (about 3-1/2 cups). Simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and purée with an immersion blender (or regular stand blender) to your desired texture. If soup is too thick, stir in another 1/2 cup of the broth and reheat over low heat for a few minutes.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish with parsley-lemon oil, reserved cauliflower florets (cut into smaller pieces if large), pumpkin seeds, and gomasio or a pinch of flaky salt.
Per Serving: Calories: 116 | Carbs: 25 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 575 mg | Sugar: 8 g Calculation not including parsley-lemon oil, gomasio, or salt added to taste.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.