This danish is easy, cheesy, affordable, packed with cherries, almond extract in the cream cheese pairs perfectly, the addition of pistachios puts it over the top, can be paired with any fruit, and is fun to make!! This recipe rocks because it is effortless, affordable, perfect for any season, has aesthetic appeal, and will make you look like a brunch boss.
Cherry and Pistachio Danish [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- Frozen vegan pastry dough
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, cold
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the Cherry Filling:
- 1/3 cup lemon juice or water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 3 cup cherries, pitted, chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios (optional)
For the Icing:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (0ptional)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Let the pastry dough thaw out.
- Make the filling: in a medium bowl of a standing mixer (or by hand if soft) beat the vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, and almond extract on medium speed until smooth. Place back in the refrigerator to set. If consistency remains runny, you can sift in corn starch to thicken, place back in the refrigerator. If still runny, you can combine with firm tofu in a food processor.
- Cherries: In a medium sauce pan, combine all the cherry sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Open thawed puff pastry sheets on a flat working that has been sprinkled lightly with flour surface.
- Roll dough to make the square even. You aren't rolling to hard though, just lightly enough that you can get all the sides even. The dough will still look like a trifold with creases.
- With kitchen scissors, or a pizza cutter, make nine even slits on both sides of the puff pastry, leaving the middle third of the 'trifold' untouched. Be careful to not go past the fold lines.
- Add the vegan cream cheese filling and carefully spread down the center of the pastry sheet. Next carefully spoon some of the cherry sauce over the vegan cream cheese layer. Repeat for both layers.
- Next starting at the top of the pasty fold the flaps diagonally and alternately over the raspberry layer. When you get to the end, tuck the ends under the pastry sheet. Place on cookie sheet line with parchment.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
- As the pastry is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking all of the ingredients together. After 10 minutes of cooling, drizzle the braids lightly with glaze and serve immediately.