Sticky, sweet and soft vegan Chelsea Buns filled with tangy cranberries, sultanas and sweet aromatic dried apricots. These Chelsea Buns are perfect for your weekend brunch or afternoon tea. They freeze very well and are best served warm.
Chelsea Buns [Vegan]
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/10 cup unsalted vegan butter, melted
- 1/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 orange, zest only
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon apricot jam
- In a small sauce pan, heat the almond milk and 3 tbsp vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool. The mix should be warm, but not too hot.
- Place the yeast into a large mixing bowl. Add the warm milk/butter mix and stir well.Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 tbsp of sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add the flour ½ cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball.
- Place the ball into an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle (about 30x20cm).
- Brush all over with the melted butter. Evenly sprinkle the orange zest over the buttered surface, followed by the sugar, cinnamon and dried fruit.
- Beginning with a long side, roll up the dough tightly. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 4 - 5 cm rolls (you should have 9 rolls) and place them in a well-buttered 8x8 inch square pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to let rise again while you preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and let them cool slightly before transferring them from the tin to a cooling rack.
- Melt the jam in a small saucepan with a splash of water until smooth. Brush the jam over the buns to glaze and allow to cool.