I was feeling antsy in the kitch tonight. I kind of wanted something cheesy but a burger sounded good too. So why not have both!? This mac and cheese recipe is creamy, delicious and comforting while the "burger" made from ground tempeh crumbles makes it the perfect hybrid of two classic dishes.
Cheeze ‘Burger’ Mac [Vegan]
- 6 oz. noodle of choice
- 1 1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 Pk. Tempeh
- 1/2 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. sage
- 2 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 c. water
- diced tomato
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the oil. Once hot add in the flour and whisk quickly.
- Stream in the almond milk and keep whisking until nice and thick. *
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Break tempeh into large chunks and place in food processor. Pulse until you have small pieces.
- Pour the pieces into a bowl and add in all the seasonings and braggs. Stir.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add in tempeh crumble mixture. Saute until slightly brown.
- Pour in water and steam crumbles. Add in more water if you would like your tempeh pieces softer.
- Once done, set aside.
- Prepare noodles as directed on box. Drain and add to a large mixing bowl. Pour in cheeze sauce and stir to combine. Top with crumbles and toppings of choice.
You might need to add a bit more nut milk if you like a thinner sauce I used diced tomato and some parsley but any burger topping would do.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile