This "cheesy" tofu scramble is a wonderful dish to start your day with. The tender onions and garlic are slowly mixed into the tofu and tied together with the cheesiness of the nooch and finished with the aromatic flare that the fresh basil provides.
Cheesy Garlic and Onion Tofu Scramble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic and cook them 4-5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Crumble the tofu and add it to the pan along with the nutritional yeast, turmeric, sea salt, and pepper.
- Cook this for about 4-5 minutes, until the tofu is heated through.
- Stir in the spinach and cook about 2 more minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Top the scramble with fresh basil and more nutritional yeast before serving.