The main trick to making perfect pinwheels is to roll tightly as the hummus will act like a glue. Also, finely dice those tomatoes. I deseeded mine too so the water from the tomatoes wouldn’t sog up the wheels. Serrated knives are a must and gently cut those rolls. It’s an art. These cute cheesy pinwheels make perfect appetizers, snacks, or a fun treat for your child's lunch box!
Cheesy Hummus Tempeh Pinwheels [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cheesy Hummus:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed (this equates to about 2 cups)
- 2 heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 4-5 tablespoon water
For the Pinwheels:
- 2 large gluten-free tortillas
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- 2-3 large pieces of lettuce, chopped
- 6 strips gluten-free tempeh bacon
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse. Add more liquid if needed. Season to taste.
- Lay one of the tortillas flat. Using the back of a spoon spread a generous amount of hummus all around the tortilla.
- Sprinkle with diced tomatoes, chopped tempeh, and lettuce.
- Roll up nice and tight and using a serrated knife slice into pieces.
- Serve immediately.