In this recipe, a cheesy, tangy cauliflower sauce encases shell pasta and then is baked under a thick, crusty layer of breadcrumbs. It's the perfect recipe for a date-night-in or a side to a holiday party feast. It's fancy enough to impress but easy and simple enough to put together at the last minute.
Cheesy Cauliflower Baked Shells With Breadcrumbs [Vegan]
- 4-ounces of shell pasta
- 1/2 small head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- A few shakes of garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A few dollops of dairy-free ricotta
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Seasoned breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for sautéing and garnish
- Salt, a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Get the shells going and cook until just before "al dente", about 8 minutes.
- While the pasta is going, chop the cauliflower into little florets, about the size of the shells and sauté it in a little oil until it starts to soften and get brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta (reserve some pasta water) and add to the cauliflower.
- Add the capers, garlic powder, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt, to taste. Add some pasta water to develop a light sauce.
- Stir in the dairy-free ricotta and distribute it evenly.
- Divide into your baking bowls or turn out into a baking dish.
- Top with breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is browned and crispy. Enjoy!