Once you learn how to make chamoy, you'll understand why this delicious condiment is so popular in Mexico. Enjoy your sweet, tangy, spicy, and salty sauce with fruit, drinks, and more! With a flavor profile that's so hard to explain, you're just going to have to try it for yourself!
Ingredients You Need for Chamoy [Vegan]
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried plums, pitted
- 1/2 cup flor de Jamaica
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste optional
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- 1/4 cup lime juice
How to Prepare Chamoy [Vegan]
- De-stem and seed the ancho chiles. Add both of them along with the dried fruit, flor de Jamaica, cane sugar, salt, and water to a medium saucepan. You can also add in 1-2 tbsp of tamarind paste for more tang (make sure there are no seeds).
- Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the heat, and allow the mixture to cool for 10-12 minutes before blending.
- Once cooled, transfer everything to your blender and add in the lime juice. Mix on high until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preferences. Add optional cayenne powder for more spice, lime for more tang, cane sugar for sweetness, or water until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve your chamoy over fruits, vegetables, in drinks, or with chips. Transfer the rest to a mason jar or airtight container for storage. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.