Chewy, crispy, and filled with warm spices, these Chai Spice Cookies are a seasonal favorite! Gluten-free and vegan cookies can be a bit challenging at times. Often, they are too soft or too crispy, but these chai cookies are perfectly in between. And these cookies are filled with the perfect amount of warm spices that taste perfect along with sweet icing.
Chai Spice Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup gluten free flour (or 1 cup gluten free baking mix)
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas or white beans- serves as an egg replacer)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon chai spice blend
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (omit if using baking mix)
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water or almond milk
- Add sugar and vegan butter in a bowl and using a hand mixer to combine. Add in the remaining ingredients and use a spatula to combine until a dough forms. Place the dough in the freezer for around 20 minutes, until it is firm enough to roll out.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper while you are waiting. Once the dough is chilled, roll it out, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your shapes, and place on parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
- Prepare your icing by combining powdered sugar and water. Spread on top of cooled cookies and top with extra spices if desired. Enjoy!
- Chai Spice