Combining cauliflower with some red potatoes in this recipe creates a perfect mash, which is still silky and light, yet filling and satisfying. Roasting cauliflower instead of steaming produced a nutty flavor, and adding garlic and nutritional yeast deepened it resulting in a perfect side dish.
Caulifower and Red Potato Mash [Vegan]
- One 2-pound head cauliflower, cored, green leaves removed and cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled and roasted
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 large red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons avocado oil and generous amount of salt. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in one layer and roast for about 35 minutes until tender, turning once half way through.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, place red potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and boil until potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a knife, about 20-30 minutes. Drain, add almond milk and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- When the cauliflower is done, place half of it into a food processor or a high-power blender. Add the coconut milk (start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed), nutritional yeast, oil and garlic, and process until the cauliflower is broken up. Add the remaining cauliflower and process until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to mashed potatoes and mash until smooth and well-mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a medium serving bowl and serve.