These cauliflower schnitzel are vegan, gluten-free, beautifully crisp on the outside, tender on the inside and super delicious! They cook fast, are easy to prepare, and will disappear quickly. You can serve these cauliflower schnitzel like ordinary schnitzel, with or without lemon juice.
Cauliflower Schnitzel With Puffed Amaranth Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium-sized cauliflower, sliced into approximately 1/2-inch thick "steaks"
- Flour of your choice (all-purpose, rice flour, chickpea flour, etc...)
- 4 tablespoons starch (corn, potato, etc...)
- 6 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/3-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Puffed amaranth, for coating (see notes)
- Oil, for frying
- Be ready with three deep plates. Add the flour and the puffed amaranth to two separate plates.
- To the third plate, add starch, turmeric, paprika, and salt. Add water and stir with a fork to dissolve. First dredge the cauliflower in flour, then the starch mixture, then the puffed amaranth. Press it firmly into the amaranth to ensure that it sticks.
- Add about 1/4-inch oil to a pan and let it get hot. When ready, add the cauliflower, one at a time, and cook on both sides. Turn the heat down to low and let it slow-fry for 7-10 minutes. Remove the cutlets from the pan and let drain on a clean paper towel before serving.
Instead of puffed amaranth, you can also use crushed corn flakes or bread crumbs. To make puffed amaranth, heat a pot over medium heat. If the water jumps and evaporates, it's hot enough. Add amaranth a tablespoon at a time, cover, then shake the pan like you're making stovetop popcorn. The amaranth should be ready within 10 seconds. Transfer to a dish and repeat with the remaining amaranth.