An easy, delicious, and nutritious low carb side dish. Cauliflower rice is a perfect substitute for rice. It has a subtle nutty flavor and is not only affordable but highly versatile in culinary uses. It can be steamed, boiled, fried, roasted, grilled, mashed, deep-fried, stir-fried, pickled and even eaten raw in salads and relishes.
Cauliflower Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To Make the Rice:Wash and thoroughly dry the cauliflower. Remove any green leaves.
Method 1: Using a Food Processor (easiest way and most time saving)
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and cut the core into small pieces.
- Place all the cut cauliflower pieces into a food processor and pulse for around 20 seconds until the texture resembles rice.
Method 2: Using a Box Grater (easy and slightly time consuming)
- Cut the cauliflower and the core into large pieces.
- Using the small-sized holes of the box grater and finely grate the cauliflower including the core until the texture resembles rice.
Method 3: Using a Sharp Knife and Cutting Board (most time consuming)
- Cut the cauliflower and core into small pieces with a large sharp knife.
- Continue chopping until the texture resembles rice.
Method 1: Stir-Frying
- Heat up a wok or frying pan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer all the cauliflower rice and salt into the wok or frying pan and briefly stir-fry for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add in half of the spring onions (scallions) and stir-fry for another 2 to 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir frequently.
- Garnish with some coriander (cilantro) and spring onions (scallions) and serve as a side dish or as a substitute for rice.
Method 2: Steaming
- Transfer all the cauliflower rice, half of the spring onion (scallions), extra virgin olive oil and salt into a large bowl or deep plate. Stir and mix well.
- Place a steaming rack into the wok or pot and fill with 1/3 full of water. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Put the bowl or deep plate on top of the steaming rack. Cover with lid and steam for around 5 minutes. You can use any type of steamer.
- Garnish with coriander (cilantro) and spring onions (shallots) and serve as a side dish or as a substitute for rice.