For an elegant after-dinner dish, try out this cashew cream crème brulée. The cashew base emulates the rich consistency of traditional dessert and is not overly sweet. The dessert is primarily sweetened with agave and vanilla coconut milk yogurt, with the exception of the sweet and crunchy top layer of caramelized sugar. Impress any guest with this delicious and sophisticated dish.
Cashew Cream Crème Brulée [Vegan]
2 creme brulees
- 1 cup cashews (softened by boiling for 15-20 minutes or by soaking in water for 4-8 hours)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vanilla coconut milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon agar powder
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar for caramelizing
- In a high-speed blender, combine softened cashews, water, yogurt, agave and vanilla extract and blend for 3-5 minutes or until creamy and smooth.
- Transfer the cashew cream mixture to a medium sized pot and whisk in agar powder. Continue to stir the cream over medium heat until it starts to bubble and the cream begins to pull away from the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Pour the cream evenly into 2 ramekins then allow them to chill in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Sprinkle some granulated sugar over the tops of both ramekins then caramelize the sugar with either a blow torch or by placing them on the top rack of your oven and broiling them for 2-4 minutes.
- Allow the sugar to cool for 5 minutes or so then dig in!