This decadent pound cake is rich and moist, almost like a brownie, and the luxurious carob ganache puts it at the top of our favorite sweet things. But it's not overwhelmingly sweet, which makes it perfect to enjoy for breakfast if you're feeling indulgent. This cake can be served at almost any hour of the day and for any occasion.
Carob Pound Cake With Ganache [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup carob powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Ganache:
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/3 cup almond butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla powder
- 3-4 tablespoons almond or oat milk, at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 356ºF. Lightly grease an 8 by 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the applesauce, coconut sugar, coconut oil and almond milk until they're well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, carob powder, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder and salt, use a wire whisk to ensure the mixture is well aerated.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix it with the wire whisk until the batter is smooth.
- This step is optional but if you want some texture, add 1/4 of cup walnuts and 1/4 dark cup of chocolate chips then fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake it for 1 hour approximately or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean or with tiny moist crumbs.
- Once it's baked let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and leave it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While it's cooling, make your ganache. Put the maple syrup in a small saucepan and cook it over medium heat until bubbles start to appear.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the carob powder stirring the mixture constantly until it's completely combined.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the almond butter.
- Finally place the saucepan back to heat and gradually pour in the milk, cooking it on a low heat until the ganache is smooth and looks glossy.
- Let it cool at room temperature for a few minutes so it thickens a little bit before frosting the pound cake.
- Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator.