Roses are red, violets are blue, this Native favorite we give unto you. Cookies and chocolate may well be passé, So try these new cupcakes on Valentine’s Day (or any day!). The cardamom gives them a spicy-sweet kick, And rose water frosting you may want to lick. So relish this special East Indian treat, And make sure to leave at least some for your sweet!
Cardamom Rose Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Rose Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan shortening
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached organic flour
- 1 1/4 cups organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
To Make the Rose Frosting:
- Place shortening and margarine in a mixing bowl and beat until well-combined and fluffy, about three minutes using a hand mixer.
- Add rose water and gradually add powdered sugar (approximately 1/2-cup add-ins). Stop occasionally to scrape sides of the bowl and beat about three minutes.
- Scoop into a pastry bag with tip (or quart-sized plastic freezer bag with the tip cut, so you can squeeze the frosting out to draw with it) or into a bowl to spread with spatula. Set aside.
For the Cupcakes:
- Sift dry ingredients including flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and cardamom.
- In large mixing bowl, place dry mix and create a "well” for the wet ingredients. Set aside.
- Place all wet ingredients in a small bowl and mix well using a whisk.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients using a whisk to incorporate.
- Place liners in the cupcake pan and fill each compartment leaving 1/4-inch from the top empty.
- Bake cupcakes for 15-17 minutes at 325°F, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 2 hours.
- Take a cupcake and, using the filled pastry bag, place a large 1/4 cup rosette on top.
- Edible Flowers
- Rose Water
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Cardamom makes things taste like bologna.
5 cups of sugar! Are you serious?! I’m not even going to mention the margarine and shortening