This is actually the first sweet recipe besides homemade chai tea that I have added cardamom to! I'm very glad I gave it a go though as this is a very unique and delicious apple crumble recipe.
Cardamom Apple Cookie Crumble [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cardamom Apple Cookie Crumble [Vegan]
- 3-4 average sized apples, ripe if possible
- 1.5 tbsp unsweetened apple butter
- 0.5 tsp cardamom powder
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup water
- liquid stevia, to taste
- pinch pink salt
- 5-7 pitted medjool dates
- 0.25 cups buckwheat flour
- 0.75-1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 tsp or 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a few dashes liquid stevia
- 1 heaping tbsp unsweetened apple sauce (optional)
- tiny pinch pink salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Prepare Cardamom Apple Cookie Crumble [Vegan]
- Core and slice your apples very thin and then cut each slice evenly in three so you have lots of small thin pieces. I left the skins of the apples on. Add to a dish along with the lemon juice, spices and apple butter. Toss with a fork to coat the apples as evenly as possible.
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized pot or pan over medium high heat.
- Once melted, add the apple mixture and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed by the fruit.
- Add the maple syrup and the water and bring to a simmer, letting most but not all of the liquid absorb. Add the salt and stir. Taste you apples. Add stevia if you want them sweeter, stirring to incorporate it well. Once satisfied by the sweetness of the apples. transfer them to a small ovenproof baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350F and set the dish aside.
- Add the buckwheat flour, apple sauce, salt, cinnamon, coconut oil and dates to a food processor. Pulse to mix them into a rough paste.
- Add the oats and vanilla and a few drops liquid stevia (not too much and pulse to make a rough crunchy dough. Using your hands, grab little balls of the dough and arrange over top of the apples in their baking dish. Arrange the dough evenly in blobs over the apples to cover them.
- Place the baking dish in the hot oven and bake until the topping is crisp but not overcooked (burnt).
- Allow to cool slightly. Enjoy.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.