This Cantaloupe Date Oatmeal with Mint-Melon Relish is so easy! Just cook the oats and chop up cantaloupe, mint, and blackberries to put on top! In North America, the term “relish” is often used to describe that slimy, sour, chopped pickle condiment thrown on top of hot dogs at baseball games and summer grill-outs. However, relish is actually a far more general term that describes any vegetable or fruit condiment that has been cooked, pickled, and/or chopped. Because the definition is so vague, a relish can be either savory or sweet, or even a little bit of both. My relish is like a dessert pico de gallo, with cantaloupe instead of tomato and mint instead of cilantro. The dates bring out the melon's sweetness, so that the relish can add a bold flavor to simple oats. If you’re feeling lazy (and/or don’t want to buy mint leaves or blackberries), you could simply top with some diced cantaloupe. You could also skip the blackberries and just have chopped cantaloupe and mint, or you could skip the mint and have chopped cantaloupe and blackberries.
Cantaloupe Date Oatmeal with Mint-Melon Relish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Cantaloupe Date Oatmeal with Mint-Melon Relish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cantaloupe Date Oatmeal:
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 2 chopped and pitted dates
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil (optional, but adds great flavor)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (coconut recommended)*
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats*
- pinch of salt
For the Mint-Melon Relish:
- 1/2 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 2 fresh blackberries
- 1 teaspoon minced mint leaves
How to Prepare Cantaloupe Date Oatmeal with Mint-Melon Relish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a small food processor, puree cantaloupe and dates (and coconut oil, if desired). The dates may not puree completely, depending on your equipment, but it doesn't need to.
- In a small saucepan, bring cantaloupe puree and milk of choice to a simmer. Add oats and salt and reduce to a low simmer.
- While the oats are simmering, prepare the Mint-Melon Relish. Dice the cantaloupe and the blackberries into 1/4-inch pieces. (For me, I cut each blackberry into about 6 pieces.)
- Toss cantaloupe and blackberries with the fresh mint.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl.
- Top with Mint-Melon Relish and another splash of milk.
*You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1/2 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.