This beauty is our vegan Caesar salad - not something you'd normally see as a plant-based option, but we're really pleased with how it's come out and the dressing tastes like the real deal. We've used a cashew base, along with nutritional yeast, lemon and mustard, then to replace the anchovies we've used capers to get that tangy and salty flavour.
Caesar Salad [Vegan]
For the salad:
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts - roughly chopped
- 4 thick slices of bread - cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 avocado - cut into chunks
- A couple of handfuls of a vegan chicken alternative or tofu - we use some homemade chicken-style seitan
- Half a tin of chickpeas
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews - soaked in water overnight (or in hot water for as long as you can if you're in a rush)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 clove garlic
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 360ºF.
- Chuck the bread and chickpeas in a large bowl, pour over a good glug of olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to give everything a good cover.
- Put in a roasting pan and roast in the oven for around 10 minutes or until the bread is nicely toasted all over - check regularly to make sure you don't burn the croutons.
- While the bread and chickpeas are in the oven, add all the ingredients for your sauce into a blender along with a generous amount of black pepper. Blend until it's completely smooth - give it a taste and add salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast or lemon to taste.
- Once everything is ready, layer up the lettuce, avocado, croutons, chickpeas and vegan chicken. Top with the dressing (and give it a mix to coat everything if you want to) and that's it - vegan Caesar salad!