Who doesn't love traditional French pastry, or any pastry for that matter? However, under all that beauty and delicious taste there are unhealthy ingredients that aren't that much different than any other junk food. But don't worry, there is a way to make these delicious treats healthier and cruelty free. These cacao madeleines are so delicious.
Cacao Madeleines [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup Whole grain spelt
- 1 cup Vegan butter
- 1 cup Aquafaba (liquid from organic chickpeas unsalted)
- 2/3 cup Xylitol (or sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons Cacao
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Melt the butter in double boiler above the steam and set aside for it to cool.
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients except sweetener.
- In a large bowl, start whisking aquafaba with electric mixer by adding sweetener gradually, until it begins to foam.
- Continue whisking while gradually adding the flour mixture, until is all mix in.
- Add the gradually the butter while whisking continuously.
- Coverer the bowl with lid or plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Prepare your Madeleine pan by greasing each shell thoroughly with melted by using butter by using brush and sprinkle plain white flour on top. Turn over the pan above the sink and shake off the leftover flour so only the one that sticks to butter remains. This may nit be necessary with good quality non stick pan like I have, but I did it anyway. It’s better to be save than sorry. There for I suggest you do it too.
- When ready, gently stir the cooled dough and scoop 1tbs with small ice cream scoop, or spoon and fill each shell, little bit off center, closer to the wider end.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes.
- When ready, remove the pan from the oven and place on the counter. Take the cooling rack, turn it upside down and place it on top of the madeleine pan. Hold the edges of the pan and rack together, obviously wearing mittens, and flip upside down again. Now lift the pan. You may shake a little until all the cookies come out.
- Let them cool on the rack and bake more cookies in the meantime with the leftover dough.