You have to admit that when you’re at an Italian restaurant, the delivery of the garlic knots, garlic rolls, or any incarnation of garlic and dough to the table is one of the highlights of the meal. Make this recipe to recreate the highly anticipated addition to the bread basket.
Buttery Garlic Twists [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Buttery Garlic Twists [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Twists:
- 1 cup warm water, about 108°F (microwave for 30 seconds)
- 1 4-teaspoon packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
For the Garlic Butter Sauce:
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
How to Prepare Buttery Garlic Twists [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat the oven to 200°F and then turn it off. Line a 15×13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the twists: combine the warm water and yeast in a small bowl. Add the coconut nectar and stir to combine. Let the yeast mixture sit for about 8 minutes, or until foamy.
- Whisk together the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, sweet white rice flour, psyllium husk powder, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the pumpkin purée to the yeast mixture, stir to combine, and pour into the flour mixture. Mix together until a dough forms.
- Form the dough into a ball, place it on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, and place another piece of parchment on top. If the dough is sticky, flour the top before you place the parchment paper on top of it. Roll out the dough to make a rectangle about 15 × 8 inches.
- Divide the dough in half, widthwise, with a pizza slicer, and then cut it lengthwise into fifteen 1-inch strips. Repeat with the other half of dough.
- To twist the dough, take a strip of it, roll it between the palms of your hands to form a rope, and twist the ends together. Repeat with the remaining strips of dough.
- Place the twists on the prepared baking sheet, cover with a clean dishtowel, and place in the oven to rise for 1 hour.
- After the twists have risen, remove the dishtowel and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To make the garlic butter sauce: add the garlic, parsley, oregano, coconut milk, and coconut aminos to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Brush the twists with the garlic butter sauce and bake them until the edges are golden brown and the twists are firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet from the oven to a wire rack, and let it sit for 15 minutes before removing the twists. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days or wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
From Sweet, Savory, and Free by Debbie Adler https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Savory-Free-Delicious-Plant-Based/dp/1944648046/?tag=onegrepla-20
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 900 | Total Carbs: 180 g | Total Fat: 30 g | Total Protein: 0 g | Total Sodium: 120 g | Total Sugar: 30 g Per Serving: Calories: 30 | Carbs: 6 g | Fat: 1 g | Protein: 0 g | Sodium: 40 mg | Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.