This hearty fall soup may not include cashew cream, but make no mistake, it tastes like bisque. Butternut squash is roasted, puréed, then returned to the soup pot to act as the base for black beans and couscous. This is the kind of rich, creamy soup that fills you up and keeps you full for hours to come.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Bisque [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Butternut Squash and Black Bean Bisque [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh, grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 13.5-ounce cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pearl couscous, uncooked
How to Prepare Butternut Squash and Black Bean Bisque [Vegan]
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the water to the pot. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cubed butternut squash and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, and pepper to pan. Stir and combine; then add the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes.
- Remove half of the onion, squash, stock mixture, transferring it to a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and return the blended portion to the soup pot.
- Add the ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice, then allow everything to return to a simmer.
- Add the black beans and uncooked couscous. Cook for 12 minutes or until the couscous is tender.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.